Guillermo Marshall Rivera
The University official that directs the Office of the Provost and can fill in for the president during a temporary absence. The provost is named by the president and serves in a position of trust.
- Collaborates with the University president.
- Coordinates the strategic planning process of the University. Ensures progress and compliance with the development plan.
- Sets institutional analysis duties, promotes quality of life among students, manages the library system, and drives the University’s participation in public policy and international relations.
To review the duties of the provost, please read the Regulations of the Organizations that work with the Office of the President.
Guillermo Marshall Rivera has a degree in mathematics and statistics from UC, where he graduated in 1984. He subsequently completed a Ph.D. in Biostatistics at the University of Colorado in 1990.
Since 1984 he has taught at UC as a tenured professor at the College of Mathematics, where he was also dean from 2004 to 2010.
He has also been head of the Public Health department at the UC School of Medicine; member of the Council of the College of Mathematics, and director of teaching and head of the Master's in Statistics program.
His research has been mainly focused on the development of statistical methodology and its applications for human health.
His work can be divided in four areas:
- A Markov regression model for chronic diseases.
- A comparison of risk-adjusted results from clinical centers.
- Exposure assessment to arsenic from drinking-water.
- Development of models for longitudinal data with the purpose of classifying the clinical evolution of patients.
As a result of this work, he has published more than 100 articles in indexed international journals and has more than 7,000 citations reported by Google Scholar.
He is currently Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Cuida Center, Radio Beethoven and the BMRC Biomedicine Consortium.
He has been provost since 2010.
He has participated in various publications related to statistics and biostatistics, and has been provost during President Ignacio Sánchez's three terms at the University.a
Director of Analysis & Planning
Director of the University Library
Director of Digital Administration
Director of Data Governance & Information
Director of the Public Policy Center
Vice President for International Affairs
Director of Sustainability
Juan Carlos Muñoz
Director of the Sustainability Professorship