Oriente CampusThis beautiful building was a convent and boarding school for the Sisters of the Sacred Hearts until 1971, when the University acquired it to launch several college careers. Today it houses the College of Arts and the Institute of Aesthetics.
Study at Oriente Campus
This faculty includes the School of Theater and the School of Arts, along with the Institute of Music. Each offers undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as continuing education. This college also houses artistic spaces such as Teatro UC, the Macchina Gallery and the Vilches Space.
Within this faculty are the Institute of Philosophy, which offers licensing and PhD programs, and the Institute of Aesthetics, with a licensing program that is the only one of its kind in Latin America. It offers two master's programs: American Aesthetics and Film Studies.
With solid walls, fresh corridors and ancient vegetation, Campus Oriente, which straddles the Santiago districts of Ñuñoa and Providencia, is one of the university’s most nostalgic spaces.
Designed in a neo-Romanesque style by the architects Juan Lyon and Luis Azócar, it was first a convent and school for young ladies run by the nuns of the Sacred Heart order. Construction began in 1926 in the middle of a six-hectare plot of land.
In 1971 the estate was acquired by the University, which used it to house its humanistic careers, which over time migrated to other university campuses.
Today it is known as the "Campus of the Arts" because it houses the School of Arts, the Institute of Music, the School of Drama and the Institute of Aesthetics.