Main CampusThis imposing neoclassical building was completed in 1917 and was originally known as the University Palace. Today it houses the University’s main officers and the colleges of Medicine, Law, Biological Sciences and Communication.
Study at Main Campus
The faculty offers degrees in Biology, Biochemistry and Marine Biology, along with PhD and certification programs. The faculty is known for its original scientific research and for teaching science at the basic and advanced levels. The Institute of Biological & Medical Engineering and the School of Veterinary Medicine, two interdisciplinary programs at UC, are also part of this college.
This faculty houses the School of Nursing, the School of Medicine and the School of Dental Medicine, which offer undergraduate, Master's, PhD and specialization programs. Additionally, it offers degrees in Speech Therapy, Physical Therapy and Nutrition and Dietetics. The Institute of Biological & Medical Engineering and the School of Veterinary Medicine, two interdisciplinary programs at UC, are also part of this faculty.
History of the Main Campus
Originally known as the University Palace, this campus is home to the university's oldest and most iconic building.
The foundation stone was laid in 1902 and works finished in 1918. The original design was the work of Italian architect Ignacio Cremonesi and was completed by architect Emile Jecquier. Its facade faces Avenida de Las Delicias (now Alameda Libertador Bernardo O'Higgins).
The design of the campus organized the colleges around central courtyards surrounded by wide corridors, mimicking the structure of a cloister. Since then and to this day, the second floor is where the President and Provost, as well as other officials, have their offices.
In 1931, a fire burned through two full floors of the University Palace. The reconstruction process took only two years and, in gratitude for the speedy works, the university president at the time, Monsignor Carlos Casanueva, commissioned a statue of the Sacred Heart that was placed on the facade, where it remains a symbol of the university to this day.
The University Palace housed all of the colleges until 1960, when they began to migrate to other campuses in the city. Over the years the Main Campus grew to accommodate new buildings and colleges such as Law, Biological Sciences, Medicine and Communication, as well as the Clinical Hospital and the Outreach Center.